Thursday, November 23, 2023

"MY SOUL DOG"


My Beloved, Majestic One True Love Sunday Jean:

Marking the first two weeks without you by my side.

Crying every night reaching for the spot on the bed where I used to rest my hand on your back.

Weeping every morning not seeing you rustle around groggy while I prepare to leave for work. Giving you a scratch message to wake you up.

Hearing your teeth clink against the water bowl as you slurped up every drop.

Still saying goodbye to you...telling you I love you and watch the house for me. 

Blowing 3 kisses in the wind, which were meant for your soft face no longer pressing against mine.

I've been trying to continue walking our route every evening, able to make it through tonight without shedding a tear.

I sprinkled your ashes every block or two last week at your favorite marking spots....remembering you were at my heel every step, even though your arthritis made it a struggle as your life neared the final laps.

Always remember: Shy of 20 years, you were the most devoted, dutiful, determined dog, with strong convictions, extremely patient, attuned to me, adoring, conscientious, playful, smart, happy, protective, praise motivated, had unstoppable prey drive, boundless runner & agility, and a dedicated walker.

By age 2 you learned 30 words, were incredibly smart, perceptive, able to communicate with me with a glance of your emotional, brown eyes. 

At 16 lbs and much later 13 lbs, you were a real Tuffy. Whether a 190 lb man, or 70 lb German Shepherd, if you felt they were out of line you had no problem putting them in their place. You were unruly about it.

I am sorry that JR coming into my life in the last 4 years interfered with our union, and closeness. 
He was a bad man. 
You detected it early on, and expressed it up till the very end. 
I suffered. And so did you. For that I am truly sorry. 

The last 6 months was just you & me like old times. Sleeping on my chest. 

Being a baby and wanting me hand feeding you.

Wrapped in my arms we danced in the sunshine. 

Ate Pistachio ice cream, nibbled on peanut butter cups, drove with your head hanging out of the window.

Aahh....life was bittersweet...as I could see it ending.

I love you Fronky, Skittles, Lil Fella, Donkey, Cutie Canootie, SJ, PaPa and will never forget your pawprint on my heart.


Aunty xoxoxo


10.OCTOBER.2022

No comments:

Post a Comment